Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Worth of a Chocolate Chip Cookie

What is the worth of a chocolate chip cookie? I guess that would really depend on how old you are. For Family Home Evening, Josh helped me make cookies and we took them around to the kids' Primary and YW teachers. (It was all his idea.) They each dropped them off by themselves. We created quite a stir of smiles throughout the neighborhoods. It was really fun.

Nathan's teachers are "Bwoddew and Sistew Dow-wee" (Brother and Sister Dalley) and he loves them so much! We stopped at their house, and at his insistence, he marched up the driveway all by himself to deliver his cookies. He marched right past the front walk and up toward the top of the driveway. When Steve called to him, he looked really perplexed about how to get across the grass, through the rosebushes and over the railing to the front door. While Steve got out of the car and tried to direct him to the walkway between the rosebushes, the Dalleys came out of their house. When Jeremy said Hi to Nathan, he got so excited, re-routed, and ran up the walk. They crouched way down so they were almost his size. Watching from the car, I wished I had my video camera and a tiny microphone hooked to him. He talked to them for a minute and then opened the baggie and handed each of them a cookie. He said goodbye and walked halfway down the driveway with the other two cookies still in his baggie. We told him to go back and give them the rest of the cookies, which he thankfully obeyed. After he handed them the baggie, he asked very politely if he could please have one...or two cookies, too. They each handed him one and he turned around and headed back to the car again. Steve stopped him and explained that all the cookies were for the Dalleys and we had some at home for him. So, he marched up the walkway a third time and traded in his cookies for a fresh-picked rose from the rosebush and a handful of petals. Then they bent over and gave him a hug. It was so funny, and so sweet! I love three year-olds. I've always treasured fresh chocolate chip cookies as one of my favorite comfort foods, and eat more than I'll admit, fresh out of the oven. Apparently, a chocolate chip cookie is even more valuable than I thought, and is rivaled only to a hug and a rose from your favorite teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment