In an effort to "de-junk" our house and help Rachel earn some money for her American Heritage Tour next spring, we decided to have a yard sale this summer. Looking at the calendar, the only weekend we had free was the one just before girls' camp. So, although the date was bad, it was our only shot. We spent 3 days cleaning up, cleaning out, piling and pricing. By Friday morning, we had a pretty good selection of goodies for sale. As we went through the toys, Bryson and Josh very carefully selected a few choice items they no longer wanted. As I held up each of his old toys, Nathan would reply, "Ummm...I think...let's sell it!" I don't think he has a clue what that really meant, but who was I to argue? Actually, I didn't sell anything I thought he would miss. He was pretty sad as the girls' old toddler bike got hauled off by someone else's mommy. Oops.
It went pretty well. Our neighbors donated at least half the stuff we sold and gave Rachel half the money of everything she sold for them (turned out to be $120 donation). A good friend and Grandma & Grandpa donated some stuff, too. Rachel had a bake sale and also collected donations for her trip, which added about $15 more to her profits. After everything, we cleared about $600. After Rachel took her $300, we paid the neighbors their $120, Sarah got her $50, Josh and Bryson each got their $10, and Nathan got his $5, I think Steve and I got to keep $105. What's wrong with this picture?? It was worth it, though, helping the kids earn a little money, and getting rid of some of the stuff I won't have to pick up anymore!
It was a pretty big deal. Really. We were even featured on the news!
No comments:
Post a Comment