Sunday, August 9, 2009

Royal Generation: Alameda Stake Girls Camp 2009

Girls Camp this summer was wonderful! The theme was "Royal Generation" and focused on our Heritage as Daughters of a Heavenly King. Theme was also based on the mutual theme for this year and Pres. Monson's talk entitled "Be Thou an Example". The same four areas of focus we used at Youth Conference were highlighted each day at Girls Camp (Truth, Heritage, Withstand and Testimony).

One of the highlights to being in the Stake Young Women is the opportunity I have to spend time with the stake's older young women. The 5th year girls are the junior leaders and help run stake camp. This year they were all so awesome and got along so well. We didn't have any of the girl-drama that usually happens with that many teen-aged girls in the same place for that long. They were helpful, happy to be there, and such a great example to the younger girls of the stake.

A couple of the highlights for me were Monday night Family Home Evening with the stake girls, and the Thursday night program.

The stake leaders always go up a day early to set up and spend some time together before all the wards arrive the next day. The Stake YW presidency did the FHE lesson and taught about scripture study. (The focus was on truth.) My counselors shared some ideas for effective study and a few object lessons. Then I talked about the scriptures being like "letters from home", and that Heavenly Father's messages (answers) sometimes come only when we open the scriptures. I shared a couple of examples of when this has happened in my life, and then invited the girls to share, if they had anything they wanted to. I was really surprised (at this early in the week) that there were several who opened up and shared such sweet experiences and testimony with us. There was a really amazing spirit around that campfire and really set the stage for the week ahead.

Thursday night, the girls and Stake Camp leaders put on a program from Jenny Phillips. It was based off her book, The Parable of the Princesses. Each of the girls had a part, there were pictures and music, with the girls acting it out in princess costumes. It was amazing. It illustrated the choices they may be faced with, and where their focus should be. The message for the girls was so timely and taught them again who they truly are daughters of God and that their Savior loves them. This was followed by Pres. Axford's remarks and testimony meetings in wards. It was a beautiful night.

Camp, as always, was amazing. The Stake Camp Director, Michelle Winder (my good friend) and her assistants, along with the junior leaders did such an incredible job! I got to be there with Sarah at the stake, and Rachel one camp away. I love girls' camp and am so grateful for the sweet reminders it gives my spirit, too.

Just a note: The only thing that I can't figure out, is how to make the girls realize how much happier their leaders would be if we could get some sleep. I couldn't believe how most of them would stay up way past 3:00 a.m., and then be happy and sweet all the next day. I must say, though, most nights they'd be playing in the lodge bathroom by 1:00 so the leaders could "sleep" (yeah, right). I was amazed that they could keep going like that all week. I'm guessing they all crashed pretty good when they got home on Friday. I know it took me several days to recover from that. Gosh, I'm getting old!

No comments:

Post a Comment