Monday, April 25, 2011

Vegetables and My Weight Watchers Weirdness

Being a lifetime member of Weight Watchers has done some weird things to me. Like getting so excited about a 4-PointsPlus breakfast filled to the brim with so many power foods that I had to take a picture of it!

1 egg (2PP), 3 egg whites (1PP), nonstick cooking spray, spinach, zucchini, sweet mini peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and less than 1/4 cup of fat free cheddar cheese (1PP). It was so delicious... a masterpiece, even!
Vegetables are a main part of my new outlook on life. Although I spent much of my childhood being careful that my vegetables didn't touch my other food, I often mix them in on purpose! One of my favorite ways to eat mashed potatoes these days is to mash over-cooked cauliflower instead and then add just a 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes and 1 or 2 Tbls. of instant potato flakes together. They're a little wet, but taste really yummy and I can get away with eating a whole lot more of that vitamin and fiber infused mash than the fluffy white stuff my family eats. I also stirred in a bunch of spinach with my spaghetti last week. It looked really gross, but I honestly felt that it improved the taste. I prefer zucchini, mushrooms and spinach to noodles in my lasagna, now. I often provide two vegetables with our dinners now, and eat a fruit and at least one vegetable with my lunches, but haven't figured out how to slip veggies into my kids breakfasts yet. I spend most of my time at the grocery store in the produce aisle and curse whoever is responsible for selling bell peppers at $1.39 each and tomatoes at $2.79 a pound. I think I've finally grown up and learned to appreciate the virtues of vegetables. I just need to figure out how to help my kids and husband love them, too!

4 comments:

  1. Have you heard of Bountiful Baskets? If you love fruits and veggies you will love it!

    check them out at www.bountifulbaskets.com

    Congrats on the awesome weight loss and the new love affair with produce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you make a fruit smoothie add a carrot in there or brocolli w/o telling them. I saw a demo on the VitaMix @ Costco a few mo. ago and that's what they did. I wonder if the same thing would work on a reg. blender. Worth a try?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. I need to do more veggies but the prices make me choke. I love bountiful baskets especially in the summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come over for breakfast? Mmmmm! That looks so good!
    Green peppers have been outrageous, but they were 3 for $1 at Fred Meyer last week, so I bought 12 and froze the slices. They work great in cooked recipes. Most veggies do.
    Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete