Wow. It's been a couple weeks since I've posted anything. Life's been pretty crazy, hectic and hard the last couple of weeks. I'll fill you in later.
Tonight I want to talk about getting old. When I was a kid, 37 seemed so old. I mean, it was almost 4o. Funny how your perspective changes. Now 40's not really very old, and 70 seems like an eternity away. I had a nice birthday today. I was sung to four different times. The first was a very loud off-tune (on purpose) rendition I got from my family. The second was in Primary. I was sitting with Nathan until class time because he has a hard time during opening exercises. They sang, "Happy, happy birthday, Children dear". It made me smile and feel very young. Steve invited (as a surprise) all my family that's in town over for dessert, and they sang to me, all crowded in my living room. Later, at the Youth Conference Committee meeting, the youth all sang to me (at Sister Broberg's insistence). I had lots of people wish me well and it made me feel very loved.
My sweet husband had dinner all done when we came home from church. He spoke in a different ward for High Council and got home a couple of hours before we did. There were goblets on the table, the "red plate" and even a candle. He made me grilled chicken and shrimp (my favorite - glad the sun was out) with salad and fresh steamed broccoli. It was wonderful. Then, after dinner, Rachel said, "Mom, just get lost for a while and we'll do the dishes." Sarah's head snapped over to her and she said, "We will?" It was pretty funny. So, I situated myself on my bed and read the Ensign for a while and then fell asleep with my little Nathan tucked in next to me. What a wonderful afternoon. When I finally came to again, we opened presents and then my family all started showing up. We had angel food cake and strawberries. It was delicious. After my meeting, I came back home and we watched my new movie (Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium). It was great. Cuddling on the couch, eating popcorn, spending time together. It was a wonderful day.
I really don't feel any older, though. Not really much wiser, either. When I look back over the last year, I guess I've gained a little more knowledge and experience, and the things we've been through with our kids have taught me much about real faith, especially in accepting the Lord's will and timing, and that my husband and children are by far the best things that have ever happened to me. I've been greatly blessed this past year, especially with the ability to recognize the Lord's hand and His love in my life. So grateful for all He does for me and all He blesses me with, because I've come to understand (at least to a degree) that he knows what I need and what will help me grow and become all that I can.
So, here's to another year older...and wiser, too!!
No comments:
Post a Comment