I just received a beautiful letter from Steve's nephew, Matt Webster who's serving a mission. It was so heartfelt and struck such a chord, I really wanted to post it here. (I hope he doesn't mind.) I've also included my response, which kind of sums up the feelings in my heart tonight.
Hey all!! How is it going? hope that all is well. Things here continue to go great! I am having the time of my life! The mission is the best thing ever and I couldn't be happier. I have learned something. That the key to true happiness is striving to achieve the happiness for all of the rest. That is the best way to be happy. Serving others and trying to make their lives the best that you can. We are happy only when we are engaged in unselfish service. (Matthew 10:39) One of the best ways that we can do that is through our daily prayers. Praying for others. We never stand taller than when we are on our knees. Prayer is one of the most powerful thing we have to bless others. As we forget about our own needs and strive to help others and pray for them, not only does it make their life better, but we see the improvement in our own life. Satan trembles when he sees us on our knees praying for ourselves and the needs of the others. That is the best way that we can overcome the sorrows and walk around with a huge smile on our face each and everyday. I love you all! You're the best in the world! You're in my prayers! Always pray, morning and night and in your heart throughout the day. Always study the scriptures and turn to the Lord in every situation. YOU'RE THE BEST!! Be safe! and good luck with all! Love, Elder Webster
Dear Elder Webster,
I just wanted to take a second and thank you for your faithful service and for sharing your strength and testimony with us. As you've probably noticed, I'm not very good writing letters, but I needed you to know that your letters touch my heart, enhance my scripture study, and strengthen me. I loved the email I just got about prayer and serving others.
We've had some struggles with Sarah's health over the last six months, and it sometimes seems to overwhelm and frustrate us. Since we heard and felt such wonderful things from conference yesterday, we were just talking about how blessed we truly are and how grateful we should be. There are people with much sadder and more tragic lives than ours. We have this glorious gospel and a living prophet. We have a home, clothes, food, and live in a country with liberty and blessings of prosperity. We have the blessings of temple service, with a temple less than an hour away. We have each other, and even though our struggles might sometimes be the cause of grief, we are a forever family, working toward eternal goals together, and should find comfort in remembering that those blessings are ours, if we live faithfully. How could we ever be less than grateful for the Lord's abundant blessings? Yet, at times, we forget how truly blessed we are and look at our trials and struggles and wonder why He's forgotten us, or why He let this happen. Wow. I can't imagine how He must feel when we wallow in our misery instead of climbing out of the pit by reaching out to others whose pain is so much deeper than ours.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and reminding me that in order to fight the feelings of the "natural man" and the frustration and despair Satan thrusts upon me, I need to get back on my knees (a hundred times a day, if necessary), be grateful for the bounteous blessings that are mine, put a smile on my face, and go out and serve with all my heart.
I think you're awesome. The people there are so lucky to have you. We love and pray for you each day. May the Lord, who loves us all eternally and unconditionally, continue to bless you in your faithful service.
Love, Aunt Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment