A few years ago, when Bryson was in kindergarten, we became aware that he had some special challenges and was struggling (mostly socially) at school. Before that, he was tested and diagnosed as having a "developmental delay" and enrolled in the school district's early intervention preschool to help him catch up academically and be ready for kindergarten. He liked going to school, but struggled with the separation and anxiety associated with that. In first grade, we suspected that he still had issues that needed to be addressed. As we read and researched the symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome, I felt like I was reading books and articles written about my little boy. We had him tested at his new school (the Academy - a charter school which he loves and thrives in) and although we didn't get doctor's diagnosis, the tests showed that he had a high probability of having AS. We read and researched some more, changed some of our behaviors and how we talked to and dealt with Bryson. We learned how to work with his special needs and rigid routines, giving him plenty of help with daily transitions, space to be alone, and stopped making him do things on our terms. Things seemed to get better, and Sarah's health started getting worse.
Here we are, now, in 3rd Grade. He still loves school, but hates reading, writing, spelling, math, and basically anything he doesn't want to do. Bryson's teacher is very concerned about his lack of attention and that he's falling behind the other kids in school. We also fight daily with focusing and getting him to complete his hour's worth of homework in less than three hours. So, we finally focused our attention back on our special boy and took him in for a physical. His pediatrician explained to him that we needed to meet with his friend (Dr. Christensen, a child psychologist) so we could learn how his brain worked. He told him that teachers usually teach all kids the same, and sometimes, some kids' brains work differently. If we could find out how his brain works, then the teacher will be able to help him learn in the special way he needs to and learning will be much easier, and more fun. Wow! He was actually excited. I almost think he knew something wasn't really working, and was actually relieved that somebody noticed that he wasn't really getting what he needed.
After hours of testing and pages and pages of surveys, we've finally got a diagnosis for our sweet little Bryson boy. The doctor has concluded that he has an Attention Deficit Disorder and Asperger's Syndrome. The attention deficit could be caused by the AS, but we really can't tell unless we try to treat the ADD and see what happens. We've received recommendations from the doctor about what he thinks might help as far as therapy and treatments, but we haven't made any decisions or met with his pediatrician again to even begin to decide what to do for him. I've begun re-reading a book that was really helpful a couple of years ago, and it's given me a lot of insight and ideas of how to help him right away.
He's so sweet and so talented and so smart... I just want so much for him to be happy and successful. I hope and pray with all my heart that we can help his challenges become strengths and he can grow into the amazing, talented and smart husband and father I know he has the potential to be. I also hope and pray that with the other challenges in our lives, Steve and I will be able to help all of our children feel the love we have for them, gather strength in our faith, and work together to keep our family strong. We've got two children with very special needs, and three others that need us to be there for them, too. So many times, struggles with children that cause stress pull families apart. I can see how that would happen, but we promised each other and God a long time ago that we'd never let that happen to us. We're strong when we're together, and with our hands in His, I know we'll be able to make it.
No comments:
Post a Comment