In January, Bryson's fourth grade class went snowshoeing at the Mink Creek Nordic Center near Pocatello. Steve took the day off so I could go with Bryson's class. We had such an amazing time together. I borrowed snow gear from my sister-in-law, and for the first time in my life in Idaho, I was actually warm while being in the snow all day. First, we gathered in the yurt for instruction and then got our snowshoes. They were a lot different than we expected, nothing like the "tennis rackets" we expected from watching cartoons. We went on a hike (about 3 miles round-trip) over hills, through gullies, and across fields. The guide stopped often enough that we didn't get too tired, and taught little nature lessons throughout the hike. We also played hide and seek in a gully. It was so fun, so beautiful, and we had such a good time together. My little Bryson was such a trooper. He just kept going with an energy I hadn't seen in him before. I think it had something to do with being in nature. It must have energized him.

Trudging down the trail

Rabbit tracks in the snow Bryson spotted in a clearing

Bryson's class

A tree-chair we just HAD to try out
After the hike, we went back to the yurt and had lunch. Then we went back outside and the grown-ups (the old tired adults) watched the kids play games in the snow... tundra, fox and geese, and capture the flag. The grown-ups were actually recruited for the last game, and that's when I was exhausted. Imagine a 37 year-old, running through the snow in snow bibs and boots trying to catch 10 year-old boys... Yeah. I was pretty sore. But, it was a glorious day and such a great time with my Bryson boy!
sounds like lots of fun
ReplyDelete