Friday, March 19, 2010

Road Trip to Alaska

On our way to Utah at Christmastime, Steve and I were talking about what we wanted to do with the kids this summer. We talked for a while about some things we could do, and then I said, "You know what I wish we could do. I wish we could take the kids to Alaska." My sister, Shaunna, and her family live there and though Steve and I have both been on separate trips there, the kids haven't ever seen it. Steve's face broke a smile and he said, "Why can't we?" I told him it wasn't nice to tease me, and if was serious, he'd better promise. We spent the rest of the trip figuring out when we could go, how we could afford it, and how to make it all work. After a very excited call to my sister, and a solemn oath from my husband, we announced to the children that we were going to Alaska in June.

I can't wait to show them all that I loved when I went. I remember the incredible waterfalls and roadside lakes on every highway. The monstrous glaciers were amazing, as were the sunsets in the middle of the night. I remember how much I loved the beautiful wildflowers, picking wild raspberries, digging for clams and seeing all the wildlife. I'm sooo excited to experience it with my kids, and my husband this time!

The only thing that could be problematic in our plan is all the car-time. We've decided to take a road trip (can't afford to fly 7 - or even 2 - of us there). We will take a week or so to get there so we can see and experience Northern Idaho/Washington or Montana and Canada on the way, stay in Alaska for 10 days or so, and take about 5 days to get home, by another route. Steve and I decided that if we have some destination each day, and lots of activities, snacks and movies, it could be bearable...even an adventure. We've decided that each day will be a mini-trip, with stops in national parks, camping, tourist stops, hotels, and hikes and such along the way. As I've told people about our plan, many of them have thought we are absolutely crazy to take 5 kids on a trip like that. I actually think it will be a lot of fun. We love being together, we'll have our dad all to ourselves for 3 or 4 weeks, and make memories of a lifetime. Sounds pretty awesome to me!

So, we've got an Alaska savings account going, with about 75% of the money we need in there. We're working on new tires for the suburban, passport cards, routes, fishing trip and day cruise reservations, etc. The hardest part I think, is deciding what we want to do while we're there. We've promised the boys a trip to go clamming, and lots of fishing. I've promised the girls a girls-only shopping trip in Anchorage. Steve's promised me a Halibut fishing excursion. I've promised Steve a couple of days to just hang out, without any stress or pressure. I'd also like to take a wildlife day cruise. Not sure if we can afford all of that, so I'm not sure what else to plan. Our tour guides, Shaunna and Eric, have many ideas, suggestions, and plans of their own. So, we'll get that tied down in the next month or so, and then all we have to do is wait for June to come!! ALASKA, HERE WE COME!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool. What a great trip. It is a beautiful drive and you will have a blast. Little jealous though we are going to the west coast and doing some of those things with my family. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete