Sarah's cardiologist confirmed what the pediatrician told us...that she really had to have an H1N1 (Swine Flu) Shot. Originally, we weren't planning on getting one for any of us. Something to do with a government-infused scare tactics, not enough testing, more problems with the vaccine than the flu...yadda, yadda, yadda. Anyway, we figured we'd be careful, sanitize, and be fine. Well, with both doctors telling us she needed one, we figured Bryson should probably have one, too. And because they're both high risk (with Sarah's compromised immune system because of her heart problems, no spleen, and PLE, and Bryson's asthma), the other kids should probably get them too. We've always had our kids immunized, and never been crazies who refuse shots that could protect our kids, so we figured we better just do it.
The health department was having H1N1 flu shot clinics in Pocatello a couple of weeks ago. They had to cancel one because their shipment of vaccine was less than they expected. So, at the only clinic in October (and the only place the vaccine was available) people started lining up 6 hours before the clinic began. We were beginning to get a little paranoid about how to make sure we got Sarah's shot, until my mom called earlier in the day to say that if we brought her by the school (it was happening at the school where she works) at a certain time, that she could get in line to get one with her. Steve went and checked her out of school, sent her in to meet Grandma and then got in line to save the rest of us a place. We were in line, all the way around the church across the street, by 3:15, and worked on homework on the sidewalk, whined about being bored, and tried to calm the ones that had just figured out why we were there. It was fun.... okay, not really. We stood in line for 3 1/2 hours before we were able to get the kids their shots.
We did have a little excitement, though. Some wonderful Domino's Pizza owner had his drivers come around 5:00 with a whole bunch of pizzas that he was passing out to different sections of the line. I couldn't believe how generous and thoughtful that was. There were so many tired and hungry kids and pregnant mommies, it was very appreciated. About 15 minutes 'til the front of the line, the news station asked to inteview me, and I had yet another 5 seconds of fame. (Couldn't find a clip this time, though.) When we got to the front of the line, the nurse confirmed that the kids would all have to get shots since they had so recently had their seasonal flu vaccines, and Josh fell apart on me. He thought he was getting the nasal spray again. They all did fine, though, and we stopped at K&B and let them each choose a candy bar for their reward. Poor kids. We're such mean parents. I really hope it was a good thing to get the vaccines and it really will protect my kids from harm. We're still really going through the soap and sanitizer, though!!
Man I am just totally impressed with how long people stood in line for that vaccine. I'm with you if a doctor hadn't told me that my kids needed it I wouldn't have done the vaccines either. Since I don't have kids though I'm taking my chances. I'm scared of needles and would just prefer to do the soap and sanitizer.
ReplyDelete