Saturday, October 29, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Well, my daily blog posts of our hospital adventure didn't last very long. I'm really really glad, though. That means that we're home! Sarah did pretty well today. She did throw up some today and had a low-grade fever tonight, but I don't think it's serious. Without nausea, her PLE is probably the cause of the vomiting. She's gone a couple of weeks though without, so I hope it goes away again soon. Her appetite has got to get better, now that we're home and she's not forced to choose from the same hospital menu every day. I really think it's going to take a while before she feels all the way better. Being sick for a month has taken its toll and she's thin, weak, and tired. I spent over an hour today organizing her medicine and making a chart so we could keep everything straight and keep track of her progress. We put all the hospital stuff away (kind of) and cleaned up all the boredom busters we had collected in our four weeks at the hospital. We had certainly moved in and made ourselves at home! It's so nice to unpack, knowing that we'll be home for a while (hopefully a very long while).

Steve found me this cartoon today in the paper. It made us laugh, and felt so appropriate at the moment.


I suppose when doctors aren't really sure what you've got, or what to do about what you've got, it would be comforting to create another problem that CAN be solved! :) We never really experienced that at the hospital, but it did seem occasionally like any progress would have been a good thing!

Today I learned that when you come home, even after a stressful month in the hospital, "normal life" is waiting for you, even if you're not ready for it. Grocery shopping, errands, dishes... they all think they're still important. It did feel good to be in my PJ's til noon, though! I suppose the rest of the "lots of things to do" will just have to wait! (How long do you think I get to use this excuse for my lack of desire to do all those things?)

Today we're thankful for being home together again. I'm so grateful that Sarah is doing okay still, and that we were able to be home together. In some ways it feels like we've never been apart. Then I look at my boys, and it seems they have changed so much since I hugged them 11 days ago. It just feels so good to be back together!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to hear that you are all home, and Sarah is doing better. We've been praying for you each night, and we'll keep it up. We love your family.
    By the way, we sure missed you both at book club.

    ReplyDelete