After completing my 6 weeks of maintenance after reaching my goal weight, I officially became a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member tonight! I love the new "me"! I pray with all my heart that my energies and focus will keep me at this point for the rest of my life. I've taken control, I'm healthy, and I feel so good! Here are some of the things I've learned about food and myself: - I can do anything I set my mind to, if I want it bad enough.
- I can control myself around homemade brownies and cookies.
- It's okay to leave food on your plate, even at restaurants.
- It's okay to say "no, thank you" and it won't offend your real friends.
- It's possible to find healthy food anywhere you go, if you want to find it.
- I have an amazing support system, and I love them so much.
- I know when I'm satisfied, and no longer overeat to bursting point.
- Eating healthy food is more expensive than eating junk food.
- I can have a 32 year-old body, even after I turn 40.
- Planning is the key to success. If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
- Tracking (even though I hate it) is the key to staying on top of the food game.
- Losing weight and exercising regularly helped me knock off two contributors to diabetes and heart disease.
- Walking on the treadmill is a lot more fun with a good audio book.
- If you fill your plate with salad and vegetables, there's not much room left for potatoes and gravy.
- I LOVE fruits and vegetables!
- There are lots of delicious low-fat and low-calorie substitutes out there, you just have to be willing to try them.
- Eating right is a decision. It's hard sometimes, but so very worth it.
The turning point in my "healthy-me" journey was definitely when I joined Weight Watchers with my mom. I have said this before, but I love Weight Watchers! Here's why:
- I had to have someone to report to, weigh in with, and be accountable to (my leaders).
- I had to have money spent (monthly fee) so I would be motivated to make it work.
- I had to have success right away so I could see that it would work.
- I love that the new PointsPlusTM program encourages lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and controlled portions of lean protein (just like the Word of Wisdom).
- I love that Weight Watchers teaches you ways to cope with stress, emotions and celebrations in non-food ways; helps you look inside of yourself for cues; and helps you explore the real "you" inside and instills courage, hope and strength from within.
- I loved going to group meetings. There was lots of support, celebrating, ideas, recipes and knowledge swapped there that gave me much to think about, and the tools I needed for success.
- I lost 20 pounds (and 2 pants sizes) I'd been carrying around for at least 17 years.
- There is flexibility in the plan that allows you to eat out, have birthday treats, satisfy cravings, and enjoy life!
- It's easy to understand, makes sense with everything you know about living a healthy lifestyle, and was created with the latest scientific research.
- It works!!
Great post Julia. You're missing one thing...pictures of the new you!! We want to see! It's so true that establishing and maintaing a healthy lifestyle is crucial to happiness. When you feel great about your self it gives you a more positive outlook on life in general. Way to go.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree. I have to keep going to meetings to keep me motivated. Lately the emotional eating has been tough so I am grateful for WW. You are an inspiration to me to keep at it.
ReplyDelete